Friday, September 27, 2013

Harvest Time Preschool - Week Five!

Harvest Time Week Five
Primary BookPelle's New Suit  
Enrichment Book: How We Use Wool 
Activities: Weaving Project
Field Trip Idea: Yarn Shop
Art: House of Cards
Poem: Johnny Appleseed Song 
Flower Fairies: Kingcup Fairy Coloring Page


Pelle's New Suit is an adorable book. One of our favorites so far. The story teaches a good lesson and the illustrations are darling. The copy we picked up from the library was an Inter library loan and in very fragile condition. I think the copyright was 1959. I put the book safely out of reach after every reading. Matilda loves to randomly attack innocent books, ripping paper is one of her favorite things to do. Don't EVER give her a pop-up book unless you want it destroyed.



Here they are shoving pipe cleaners into the holes of our steam basket. Great activity. They love pipe cleaners and any of our kitchen items, put the two together and they will be entertained for a surprisingly long time.



Dropper and water transfer. Next time we'll try it with food coloring, spruce it up a bit.


Counting with horse chest nuts. They got a lovely basket filled with horse chest nuts for a birthday present from a friend. What a wonderful idea! Very Waldorf. 



The weaving project. 
I made looms from card board box flaps and yarn as suggested in the curriculum. This is another one of those projects that is about the process and not about the product. The "weaving" lasted longer for Matilda than it did for Tavin but they both played with the yarn quite a bit in many other ways. A ball of yarn is almost as exciting to a toddler and a preschooler as it is to a cat. 

We went to Michael's to pick out the yarn. Our trip to Michael's was pretty fun for the kids, actually. Many neat things to look at in that store. I let them each pick out some yarn and they thought they were getting the coolest "toys." Tavin picked blue yarn and Matilda picked pink yarn. Funny how that happens, I didn't encourage those choices either. They both wanted to hold their yarn on the way home.

Before we left for Michael's I said, "Ok, let's get ready to go buy some yarn." Tavin said, "Are we getting a cat?!" 
He makes me laugh. So many kids books that have pictures of cats in them almost always show the cat with a ball of yarn. He doesn't miss a thing.

***************************
We picked out some fun costumes today. The kids love playing "dress up" and with Halloween around the corner and a gift card in my wallet, I thought it was a good time to get some costumes. 


Matilda Bugs Bunny


Matilda the Fairy


Sir Knight Tavin


Tavin, I mean, Woody The Cowboy


Officer Matilda


For Halloween, Tavin wants to be Woody and Matilda wants to be a police officer. That may change, of course, but I think they are excellent choices.




No comments:

Post a Comment