Harvest Time Week Six
Primary Book: Johnny Appleseed
Enrichment Book: How Do Apples Grow
Activities: Apple Prints
Field Trip Idea: Orchard
Poem: Little Boy Blue
This week seemed to go by quickly and slowly all at the same time. Ted was gone and I was really feeling the morning sickness. We got out and enjoyed the nice weather as much as we could. Good thing too because the last two days haven't been very nice. We did have a baking day of honey wheat bread, banana bread muffins and apple pies. I have more items I'd like to bake but first I need to gather more supplies!
Story time at the library started this week! The librarian at the Main Library does a wonderful story time. He does finger plays, gets the kids up and dancing, uses a felt board and has a great voice for story telling. This week the stories had some dragons and the kids loved them.
We are taking a break from Kindermusik. The structure of it has changed, which we don't particularly favor and it just didn't seem to be working out. The first class we tried didn't have any kids Tavin's age. The second class we tried was all girls and was in a small, stuffy room for the class size. Maybe the room size was more my deal but it felt claustrophobic to me. We felt the signs were all telling us to take a break. We will get a membership to the Science Museum instead. I think we can make a point of going there for a couple hours once a week or every other week, especially during the winter.
We visited the zoo. This day was beautiful, couldn't ask for better weather. The zoo was rather quiet, it was almost like we had the zoo all to ourselves. The kids love feeding the goats and ducks. Matilda isn't afraid to let the goats eat right out of her hands.
Funny how they have their own little kitchen with their own little kitchen items and yet they still go for my pots and pans.
We visited an apple orchard, the Hoversten Orchard. It started out as a beautiful day.
Matilda and Gideon.
Tavin and Gideon.
Some fellow homeschooling friends joined us.
We got rained on! The kids handled it rather well although they were a bit perplexed at first. It's not like they haven't experienced rain before but that was the longest they've ever been out in the rain. We ran from tree to tree for shelter on our way back to the barn.
The owner was kind enough to bring us some towels for drying off.
Apple prints! I didn't want to go out and buy red and green stamp pads so I thought using the Do-A-Dot markers would be a good alternative. Seemed to work alright.
Finshed products.
*********************************
We went to a nearby park for a picnic. The kids were running around and giving each other hugs, I even got one of the hugs recorded. Click on the link below.












No comments:
Post a Comment