Saturday, October 26, 2013

Harvest Time Preschool - Week Nine

Harvest Time Week Nine
Primary BookThe Biggest Pumpkin Ever
Enrichment Book: Pumpkin Circle
Activities: Pumpkin Carving, 
Field Trip Idea: Pumpkin Patch, 
Art: Domino Players, 
Poem: Thanksgiving, 
Flower Fairies: Pansy Fairy Coloring Page

We visited a pumpkin patch a couple weeks ago when the weather was actually beautiful. We were going to go again this week but we decided on other activities. The weather wasn't the greatest anyway so I am glad we already got our pumpkins. The kids did play with their pumpkins this week though. Turns out that Matilda is a bit of a brut. She can carry both her pumpkin and Tavin's pumpkin at the same time. Don't mess with her.

(This photo will not rotate for some reason. Very strange.)

I got this activity idea from the book Slow and Steady Get Me Ready. I varied it a little. The activity was to take your leftover egg carton, number the egg slots, number some pieces of paper and have your child match the numbered paper with the numbers in the egg carton. We have a lot of wood blocks and I thought they would be more fun. They were. The kids thought this activity was great! Tavin matched the numbered blocks with the numbers in the carton no problem. They both found many other ways to play with their carton of "eggs."



Tavin thought the blocks needed to go for a ride in a truck. Notice the egg carton in the background? I tried to keep the blocks with the carton for a little while but decided to give up. I have better things to do. The egg carton has become a rocket ship now anyway.


 We picked some leaves in between the rainy days so we could do a leaf craft. 
Matilda and her leaves. She was apparently thirsty that day. Wow for all the drinking apparatus. 


Tavin with his leaves.


Another craft project. Pasta, stickers, wiggly eyes, crayon rocks, scissors.... The stickers weren't anything fancy either. They used some star stickers, the circle stickers that you would see at a garage sale and the stickers that one would use to protect paper for a three-ring-binder. They don't care as long as they stick.


And what toddler and preschooler doesn't enjoy good old fashioned water in the sink play? Never mind the messy kitchen, we actually cook and eat around here. 

We stayed close to home most of the week. We did go to the mall one day to buy Tavin some new pants. After the mall we went to Great Harvest Bread for lunch. Tuesday, of course, was library day. The stories at story time were about grandparents. We went to visit Great Grandma today, the correlation just occurred to me. How's that for tying things together? The kids had fun and were well behaved, that always helps.
I also took the kids out to the Tea playground for about 30 minutes. That was about all I could take. It was incredibly windy that day. Matilda fell asleep on the short car ride home almost instantly. 



No comments:

Post a Comment