Saturday, November 16, 2013

Harvest Time Preschool - Week 12!

Harvest Time - Week 12 
Primary Book: In November
Enrichment Book: Caps, Hats, Socks and Mittens
Activity: Quilt Squares
Art: Fast Break
Poem: Thanksgiving



They were working on cutting skills and fine motor skills. They cut straws into pieces and put them on pipe cleaners to make bracelets. 


Tavin loves to cut straws and watch the little pieces fly. I think those blue scissors have been the best for him at this stage. Finding the right pair of scissors can minimize frustration immensely.


We found this train set on Craigslist for a pretty good deal. We were hoping the set would fit with what we already have and were disappointed when it didn't. However, the kids love it and it's a toy we'd like to encourage. Train sets are a much better choice than a lot of toys marketed to kids these days.


Dress up! Tigger and Pooh as a pumpkin. That Pooh costume is hilarious, it's basically a fat suit.


Help in the kitchen. Both kiddos learned how to crack open an egg. I'm sure Matilda was breaking a few health codes. She's interested in someday having her own nude cooking show. Tavin took great pride in whisking the eggs and adding salt and pepper. We made a spinach and goat cheese frittata. (I'm not normally a fan of goat cheese but this goat cheese had garlic and herbs in it and went well with the spinach and eggs.) While the frittata was cooking Tavin took one look at it and said, "Mommy, I want a hot dog." We were able to convince him to try a bite though.


We've had a couple of warmer days and have tried to take advantage of them. The kids enjoyed making tire tracks in the sand.


Play date! It seemed when I thought to take out the camera something always happened to either distract me or the kids. It was a good time though!


Crafting at the Gillen house. They were making paper bag owls.


Tavin's finished owl. He did a good job on this I thought. He took it all apart about ten minutes after he put it together. Good thing I took a picture to get evidence. (He's playing either Piper or Raina's harmonica in this picture. I got a couple for the kids as stocking stuffers.)


More crafting. Finger print owl trees. Tavin also destroyed his tree shortly after he put it together. Maybe duplos and blocks are more his thing.

We had another fun-filled week! We had two play dates, well three counting our time with the Gillens. One play date was with new friends. 
Yay for new friends!

Story time at the library was an owl theme. I didn't plan our owl crafts to go with the owl themed story time but I'm glad it happened. The stars aligned for us. I feel good about our decision to do preschool at home. Ted does too, of course. We've  enjoyed the Harvest Time curriculum and molded it to fit our needs. I started out trying to do too much, I think, but was smart enough to know when to back off. Let them play!

We will be working on our Harvest Time Quilt the next couple of weeks. This project is out of my comfort zone but I'm excited to do it! It will be a wonderful way to commemorate our time together. Grandma Sandy is going to help get me started. She will help pick out what I need for the fabric and she is also setting me up with a sewing machine. Thank you Grandma Sandy!

This concludes our 12 weeks of Harvest Time. (Except for the quilt, I will be sure to post finished pictures of it.) We will take a short break and start with Winter Wonderland after Thanksgiving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment