Harvest Time Week Ten
Primary Book: The Ox-Cart Man
Enrichment Book: Farmer's Market Rounding
Activities: Beeswax Candles, Gingerbread Cookies
Field Trip Idea: Farmer's Market
Art: Pinatas
Poem: Thanksgiving
Flower Fairies: Strawberry Fairy & Coloring Page
What a busy week we had! When I was uploading the photos for this post I couldn't believe we did all of this all in this last week. No wonder we're all so tired. There were also two trips to the library, a trip to Hobby Lobby and a trip to the grocery store. One evening the kids and I went out to eat too. Ted was traveling, the kids had late naps and we needed to get out of the house.
We didn't do the Beeswax Candles activity yet. I ordered a beeswax candle making kit and it was on back order. That will teach me to order supplies earlier. It should arrive next week though. I did manage to come up with many fun alternatives.
Primary Book: The Ox-Cart Man
Enrichment Book: Farmer's Market Rounding
Activities: Beeswax Candles, Gingerbread Cookies
Field Trip Idea: Farmer's Market
Art: Pinatas
Poem: Thanksgiving
Flower Fairies: Strawberry Fairy & Coloring Page
What a busy week we had! When I was uploading the photos for this post I couldn't believe we did all of this all in this last week. No wonder we're all so tired. There were also two trips to the library, a trip to Hobby Lobby and a trip to the grocery store. One evening the kids and I went out to eat too. Ted was traveling, the kids had late naps and we needed to get out of the house.
We didn't do the Beeswax Candles activity yet. I ordered a beeswax candle making kit and it was on back order. That will teach me to order supplies earlier. It should arrive next week though. I did manage to come up with many fun alternatives.
We collected a few rocks, washed them, painted them and decorated them. This photo above is right when they started painting. They were very excited about painting the rocks. Don't you love Matilda's wild hair?
Here they are a little further in to the painting project. They added wiggly eyes and yarn for hair. Pet rocks!
Playdoh, straws and wiggly eyes. Wiggly eyes are a good item to have on hand with these two. I should buy a variety pack soon.
Fun with Sandpaper Letters from Etsy. We matched the upper case with the lower case and sang the alphabet song.
The Mighty Mind puzzle game.
Pasta letters and cutting practice, an idea from Slow and Steady Get Me Ready. I would have liked this activity to have gone a little bit differently but they still had fun...and that's the point, right? We'll have to try it again soon.
Tracing stencil shapes with my homemade paper plate stencils. Another idea from Slow and Steady Get Me Ready. Awesome book.
Painting on tinfoil with Q-tips, straws, pom-poms and pipe cleaners. Matilda also painted her hand, as you can see here.
They thought this was pretty neat. The Q-tips and pom-poms were definitely their tools of choice. Matilda is fine with using her hands too.
Their finished art. Matilda's is the one above, Tavin's is below. Tavin's reminded me of Starry Night by Van Gogh.
Convoy fun in the kitchen.
Halloween! Here they are in their costumes. Matilda the police officer and Tavin, Woody, the sheriff. Aren't they sweet?!
A group photo of the trick or treat gang. They all had fun trick or treating. The extrovert in Tavin came out. Halloween must be his thing. He led the group during the trick or treating and was the first one to go up to the doors 95% of the time. I'm not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing.
We were "supposed" to make gingerbread cookies but the baby and I thought sugar cookies sounded better. The sugar cookie process is rather similar anyway.
Matilda was all about this. Tavin was rather oppositional at first but he eventually came around to join in on the fun.
This got a little messy, flour all over. We didn't mind, it was worth it. The cookies turned out great. Very fluffy and delicious. We will bake more tomorrow and frost them. We were all too worn out to do much more. We all have the sniffles....so we probably shouldn't share our cookies with anyone. Darn it.

















No comments:
Post a Comment